All alliteration aside, I took a couple hours after dinner and finished the rest of the assembly on the Fae. Before I get into that, though, I want to show you something I picked up while I was shopping today.
While I was out, I went to one of the not-so-friendly local game stores looking to see if they had some card sleeves and a unicorn figure. I wanted the card sleeves to protect my Fanticide cards, and I was able to get a couple packs of Upper Deck card sleeves that fit the cards perfectly.
|A couple of my Fanticide cards in sleeves|
I needed the unicorn so I would have one when the Unicorn event card turns up. The Unicorn event card summons a really nasty, homicidal unicorn. The Rainbow event card makes it even worse by making it berserk and making it stronger! So I need to have a unicorn for Fanticide, and I was hoping for something like Reaper's Starmane figure.
Of course, the game store didn't have any unicorn figures at all. They offered to order one, but I needed to get one so I can hopefully play on Monday. So I started searching around for unicorns I could use. I thought I had seen one that would work in one of the craft stores in town. After searching at Hobby Lobby, a couple of big box stores, and the grocery, I found one at Michael's in a Toob set called Mythical Realms. The set also included a dragon,a phoenix, a chimera, a griffon, a minotaur, and a merman and mermaid. Given my propensity for painting cheap plastic toys like dinosaurs and robots, I was happy to get the set. And it only cost about $5 with the coupon I had!
|More things to paint!|
Looking at the unicorn in the set, it's about the perfect size compared to the Fanticide figures, and it looks appropriately innocent. I'll throw it on a 50mm Games Workshop base and see what I can do to pretty it up along with the other figures in the project.
|Liberi Cheveyo Chief, Toob Unicorn, and Satyr Legend|
After dinner I started working on the last of the Fae, the Stickers, the Shootists, and the Brownies. These were all pretty straightforward models and didn't take much extra work.
The Stickers are all single-piece models, so I started with them. All of them cleaned up fairly easily and quickly. There was a little interior flash on some of them, mainly between their spears and bodies. I used a razor knife with a #11 blade to work out the flash and trim the mold lines in these areas. The rest of the mold lines cleaned fairly easily with the semi-round file or the knife. I stuck the models onto their bases with super glue.
The Shootists were cast in either one or two pieces. Four of the models had separate bows.
The single-piece models were easy to clean with the semi round file. The two models with separate bows that are positioned like they are nocking an arrow to the string were also easy to clean with the knife and file. I needed to open one of the hands that holds the bow a bit with the knife, but it was no problem to do so.
The other two models are positioned like they are drawing an arrow from their quiver with the bow resting against their thigh. Both of these models needed to have their hands drilled out for the bow, and I needed to file a bit into the thigh so the bow fit right on the model. I drilled the hand with my pin vice and smoothed a slot for the bow in the thigh using a round file. Once the hand was drilled out, it was easy to slide the bow through and glue it in place.
|The hand drilled out and the bow in place|
Once I got the Shootists cleaned, I glued them to their bases with super glue.
The final group that I did for the Fae was the Brownies. The pack came with about thirty brownies on foot and one mounted on an armored squirrel. I think the brownie on the squirrel is one of my all-time favorite figures! The rest of them look like miniature satyrs with various weapons and would look great as 6mm fantasy troops.
All of these models were too small to really worry too much about cleaning. If there was an obvious mold line, I scraped it off as best I could with the knife. Otherwise, I tried to smooth the base of the model and glued it to the base. I also decorated the bases with some stones and a couple of mushrooms to break them up a bit. I spread the brownies I couldn't fit on the three bases around the army. You can see a couple on the Stickers and Shootists. The rest went to the Legend, the Master, and the Bogies.
So with a couple more hours of work the Fae are all assembled and ready to go! That's 31 more bases finished!
In the past couple days I've managed to assemble all of the Fanticide models I have, a total of 56 bases worth of models!
|All of my Fanticide models assembled|
Tomorrow I'll get the bases textured, prime everything, and start painting.