I already had the models prepared, assembled, and based. I primed them black and base coated the bases with brown spray paint. Before I started painting, I did an image search on Google to find some visual references. I printed the following image and got to work at the painting table.
Looking at the picture, I decided to build up a couple layers of drybrushing on the body. I started with a mix of equal parts Ceramcoat Cape Cod Blue and Black. I drybrushed this over the whole model. Then I added a little more Cape Cod Blue to the mix and drybrushed the whole model again. Finally, I added a bit of Ceramcoat Quaker Grey to the mix and drybrushed them a final time.
To get the red color on the head, I painted a thin coat of Games Workshop Red Gore over the head and then highlighted it with a bit of Games Workshop Blood Red.
For the claws and beak, I base coated them with Games Workshop Bestial Brown and highlighted them with a bit of Games Workshop Bleached Bone.
I finished the base with successive drybrushes of Games Workshop Desert Yellow and Bleached Bone. I painted the edges of the bases with Games Workshop Bestial Brown. Finally, I painted the eyes and the rods holding the figures black.
|Closeup of the Liberi Vultures|
These figures were a joy to paint and really look great with just some drybrushing to pick out the texture of the feathers. They came together in about 45 minutes. If I had done fewer steps on the drybrushing, I probably would have finished them in about a half an hour. Again, I can't get over how easy the Fanticide models are to paint! These models are definitely designed with gamers in mind.
Next up are the Liberi Centaurs and then some terrain.