I used Games Workshop Bestial Brown to paint the edges of the bases on everything except the Hole Beast. Because the Hole Beast is sculpted all the way to the edges of the model, I didn't bother with any edging on it.
The flock I use is a mix of some old Games Workshop flock, Woodland Scenics Green Grass Fine Turf, and Woodland Scenics Green Blend Blended Turf. I mixed it all in a large zip-top storage bag. For glue, I used normal white glue thinned with an equal part of water.
|My flock mix|
I applied the glue in patches on the bases, making sure to avoid the larger rocks and dipped the bases into the bag of flock. I let the glue set for a few seconds and then tapped the bottom of each base to knock off any excess flock. I ran a finger around the edge of each base as well to make sure there was no flock bulging past the edges of the bases. Then I set the models aside to dry.
For the Hole Beast, I pushed the glue fairly close to the edges of the beast's body. Here you can see that I've left a few bare patches on the base to give it some visual interest.
|Glue on the Hole Beast|
|The Hole Beast flocked|
For the unicorn and the satyrs, I applied the glue in patches on the bases and flocked them like the Hole Beast. A few of the satyrs had brownies on their bases, and I used the flock to cover up any parts of the brownies' square metal bases that were still visible. To do this, I made sure that the glue covered the corners before I dipped it into the flock.
|Using the glue to cover a corner of a brownie's base|
|The brownie's base covered|
A couple of the satyrs had larger flat areas on their bases. I used the flock to camouflage these as well.
|A bare spot on one of the satyr's base|
|Bare spot covered with flock|
Once all of the Fae's bases were flocked, I set them aside to dry and started working on the foliage for the Bogies and the Forest Father.
|All the Fae flocked|
I started with the Bogies first. I spread some regular white glue on the branches. For this I used just glue and did not dilute it at all.
|Glue on one of the branches|
With the glue in place, I pushed a clump of the foliage material onto the branch. I tried to use a single piece of foam on each branch. Once the foam was in place, I touched the surface of each clump with the diluted glue to help seal it and fix it in place.
|Foliage glued in place on a Bogie|
Then I set the models aside to dry overnight. I wanted to make sure that all of the glue had enough time to completely cure before I sealed the models. Otherwise, the glue never completely sets and the sealer can get foggy.
|Letting the glue dry overnight|
Finally, I took the models outside and sealed them. I used Plaid Matte Clear Acrylic Sealer. I sprayed all of the models from several directions to ensure that all of them were covered. Once the first coat had dried, I sprayed them all again from the top and sides.
|The Unicorn and Hole Beast finished|
|The Fae ready to fight|
Altogether I have spent about 31 hours on all the Fanticide models so far. I have 33 models finished, and the 23 Liberi models to go. That means that I'm averaging less than an hour a model including cleaning and assembly. Hopefully I can keep up the pace and get the Liberi finished this week!