Saturday, November 24, 2012

Finally painting again

This week was my first week at the new job. Between that and getting most everything unpacked and arranged at the new place, I'm starting to settle in a bit. California still isn't home yet, but it's getting there. In the process of getting all the last details sorted, I've been giving a lot of thought to gaming, painting miniatures, and blogging.

Needless to say, getting back to work full time is taking a big toll on the free time I have available. So far this week, I've spent all of my free time before today getting things arranged, taking care of errands, and working and commuting. I have had a little time to read before bed, but not enough concentration or energy to really read or follow any new gaming material. Eventually, I'll be able to hire people to take care of some of the routine stuff like housekeeping and shopping, but it's not happening right now.

I also realized that I moved a few time zones west, which means that all of the regular games I've been playing in and running online would start at 4 or 5 pm instead of 7 or 8. Since I get off work at 4 and don't get home until after 5, that means I need to either find some new games or give up on most of my gaming schedule.

As far as miniatures, I haven't had much time or energy to paint this week. Today I decided to get something out of the cases and paint a bit. The first case I opened had a handful of old unpainted Games Workshop models, so I grabbed one and started painting. After a couple hours, I needed a break.

I've been reading and trying to catch up on all of the blogs on my blogroll, but I'm still several hundred posts behind. After reading a hundred or so posts, everything started running together, so I decided to take a break from reading and write this and let you all know what is happening.

Obviously, I have a lot of demands on me that I didn't have a few weeks ago. Just as obviously, though, I am extremely happy and excited to be back at work and gainfully employed for a change. I know that eventually things there and at home will settle down, and I will have more time for gaming. Right now isn't that time, though.

For the moment, I'm still excited about playing games, painting miniatures, and keeping up the blog. If I can find a bi-weekly game that fits the rest of my schedule, I'll start playing again. I'm definitely going to send a message to the players in the games I run and see if I can get something going with them soon. If there's a choice between playing and running a game, though, I'm always going to prefer running one.

For painting, I'm hoping to do a little painting in the morning before work during the week and at least a little one day of every weekend. I'm still trying to hold to my rule of not buying any more models until the ones I have are painted and either being used for gaming or sold. That means I'll definitely be putting some models out for sale to clear space if it doesn't look like I'll be painting them soon. Otherwise, I'll be painting some for play and some for sale.

I'm not really focusing on one particular project, though. Instead I'm going to simply open the next case or box in line and paint whatever is on top. That means that some of the more recent projects may not get finished for a while, but it also means I can focus a bit on getting models done. Eventually, I'll get to where I am only buying as I paint, and my projects and writing about them will be a bit more focused.

I'm still planning to play my favorite minis games as much as possible. That means more Fanticide, along with a few other games, if I can find more people in the area that play. Unfortunately, I haven't found a store that is easy for me to get to, so it may be a little difficult to find people. I'm still hopeful, though. If nothing else, I can always paint the figures to use at conventions or when I travel to Chicago or Indy.

As far as blogging goes, I'm going to do my best to keep writing as I get the time and energy. I'll keep posting pics of minis as I paint them. I also plan to keep posting modeling and painting tips as I use them. I have a ton of models to get finished, and I'm sure I'll get to everything that people have asked me to talk about in the process. I also plan to finish some of the games, scenarios, and other projects that I have hinted at over the past couple years. I definitely am not running out of ideas, but I need to pace myself and do things as I can without interfering with the day job.

So that's where I'm at right now. Getting into the new place and the new job is great. I'm still looking forward to keeping up as much here as possible, but it may take me some time to get everything to work together. In the meantime, I hope you'll bear with me a bit.

Expect to see some miniatures stuff coming on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment