Monday, November 26, 2012

Monday Miniatures - Games Workshop Fen Beast



This model was in the first case that I opened looking for unpainted models to work on, so it was the first on the table. The Fen Beast from Games Workshop was released as a limited edition model to coincide with the Dark Shadows Warhammer campaign in 2004. It was a monster that could be summoned by a Truthsayer or a Dark Emissary, special spellcasters that were also released specifically for this campaign. I've had the model assembled, primed, and washed for quite a while.

It was primed white and washed with dark brown ink when I pulled it from the case. Being away from it for years, I drybrushed the whole model with Ceramcoat Quaker Grey to pick out the details. If you haven't looked at a model in a long time, it's helpful to do something like this so you can see what you're working with and make some decisions about how to paint it. I decided I wanted the bulk of the model to be brown, with some greenish undertones. The rocks and bones will add some bright spots on the model, and I'll pick out the vines in a bright green.

I base coated the branches, vines, and bones with Games Workshop Scorched Brown. I am trying to use the last of my Scorched Brown on one-off models since I can't buy more. If you know you can't get anymore of a particular color and you want your models to be consistent, plan ahead as much as possible so you're not stuck repainting several squads in a larger army. At this point, I have enough left in the pot for one or two more models and then I'll move to a similar color from another manufacturer. I base coated all of the muck areas on the model with Citadel Dark Angels Green. I wasn't too worried about being clean with the base coating, because any places I make mistakes will easily be covered later.

Next I drybrushed the whole model with Games Workshop Bestial Brown. This brightened the brown a bit and muted the green. As the final prep stage, I washed the whole model with Games Workshop Devlan Mud wash. This brought everything together, picked out and shaded the details, and gave me good lining in the deeper recesses on the model.

I should note that I really don't like how Games Workshop has decided to reformulate their paint line. I recognize that a lot of people just want to paint quickly and get to playing, but having the different formulations for different stages really did a disservice to people learning to paint. One of the most useful things to learn as a beginning painter is how to thin and blend your paint for different effects. Thinning a paint for drybrushing is very different than creating a consistent wash. Games Workshop has really moved completely into being a different company, separate from other hobby companies by reducing their range to premixed stages. Instead of developing good hobby skills that transfer well to other ranges in their customers, they are making them dependent on only using Games Workshop products. I think this hurts those hobbyists in the end, because they will approach all other paints expecting to have their work done for them and not realizing that these other ranges offer much broader possibilities for modeling and painting.

That said, I do really like the Games Workshop washes. They give good consistent coverage and have excellent color. Washes are one of the more difficult things to mix yourself and get consistent coverage. Games Workshop did an excellent job at formulating a range of washes that is easy to use and works well. I just wish they hadn't gutted the rest of their range to do it.

With all of the base coloring done, I started picking out the details on the Fen Beast. I used Ceramcoat Cape Cod Blue and Quaker Grey to highlight the stones. I highlighted the wood bits with Games Workshop Kommando Khaki. I highlighted the bones with Games Workshop Bleached Bone and my white craft paint. The spearpoint and armor on the skeleton were painted with Citadel Tin Bitz and highlighted with Citadel Chainmail. I painted the vines and roots with Citadel Dark Angels Green and highlighted them with Games Workshop Camo Green. Finally, I made a thinner mix of Games Workshop Desert Yellow and built up the highlights on the face.

Fen Beast front

Fen Beast back

I realized after I got the model to this point that I still need to get to a store to pick up some PVA glue. Once I do, I will add some texturing to the base and finish the model.

1 comment:

  1. You have always been a good painter. Another job well done. I loved the Albion stuff from GW. Wish they did more of that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete