Wednesday, January 23, 2013

I hate Catachans

Several years ago I got a bunch of the plastic Catachan imperial guard models from Games Workshop. At the time I was planning to use them to build an Armageddon Ork Hunters army (which should give you an idea how long ago that was). Since then they have sat in a case waiting to be painted.

I finally got some of them out a little over a week ago and started painting them. I immediately remembered why they have been unpainted for do long.

These were the first plastic imperial guard models GW put out since the late 1980s. They are blocky and poorly jointed. They have lots of gaps when assembled. And they aren't posed well. These are probably some of my least favorite models.

At this point, I would happily sell them but for two things. First, I want to use them as another test for the quick shade. I'm painting them with the simplest paint scheme I can and then shading them to see how they look. It will be a good experiment to see how the quick shade works with simpler schemes and plastic models. Second, I want to paint everything I have before I unload it. I made a challenge to myself, and I'm stubborn enough to want to see it through, even if it means painting a bunch if bad models.

To get around the fact that I don't like these models as much as others I have, I'm painting them in small batches in the time I have before work. That allows me to work on them in small doses so I don't just get disgusted and move on to something else. Still, I hate Catachans.

2 comments:

  1. Pics? There's always something to be learned, even from "ugly" figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that you can learn a lot from ugly models. I've painted Catachans multiple times. This batch just reminded me of all the frustrations of doing them before.

    I'll talk more about the lessons and include some pics as soon as I get the first round of these guys done. If all goes well, that should be sometime this weekend. If not, hopefully next week.

    ReplyDelete