Monday, February 11, 2013

Monday Miniatures - My favorite familiar

The past week has been pretty hard for me. I haven't been able to get enough rest for some reason, so I haven't had a lot of time or energy for painting. I did get a few minutes to do some more work on the Catachans and a handful of Black Templars space marines, and I expect to get some of those finished this week. If nothing else, I can catch up a bit with the extra day off coming next Monday.

Tonight I took advantage of the time I was waiting for my laundry to finish and polished off one of my favorite old GW models. This model is apparently Magus Familiar 3. I've had this figure kicking around in my bits box since the early 1990s. At one point I sprayed it with a shiny blue Testors enamel, probably when I was painting my original Space Hulk genestealers. I never bothered to finish painting it until now, though.

I decided to paint it in the old blue and purple color scheme. For most of the colors, I used my new Vallejo Game Color and Model Color paints. Being able to use just a tiny drop of each color was a huge advantage, and the colors are almost exact matches for the original Citadel colors I used to paint my genestealers back in the day. For the purple, I used layers of Model Color Violet (70960), Game Color Warlord Purple (72014), and Game Color Squid Pink (72013). For the blues, I used the aforementioned Testors spray enamel, shaded with Model Color Dark Prussia Blue (70899), and highlighted with Model Color Andrea Blue (70841). The claws and teeth were painted with brown craft paint highlighted with Games Workshop Bleached Bone and white craft paint. The base was coated with sand and washed with dark brown ink. I painted the side of the base with Ceramcoat Cape Cod Blue craft paint then drybrushed the sand and the sides of the base with Ceramcoat Quaker Grey.

Genestealer familiar front

Genestealer familiar back

I'll probably use this as a familiar if I need one for my fantasy games. Otherwise it will probably make an appearance as a special threat in a Necromunda game sometime.

Altogether it took about forty minutes to paint this figure. I took a little extra care with the purple, but got a little sloppy with the highlights on the blue. It looks good on the table, though, so that's all that matters. This was a great diversion from some of the assembly line painting I've been doing lately. A lot of the time that I've been painting, I've gotten bored if all I am doing is assembly line troops. Inserting a little figure like this is a nice way to break the monotony and have some fun with the brushes.

Models finished so far this year: 82

No comments:

Post a Comment